Record fairs are a great way to find rare and hard-to-find vinyl records, as well as connect with other music enthusiasts. If you’re planning on attending a record fair in the UK, there are a few things you should know to make the most of your experience.
How to navigate record fairs in the UK
Here is a guide on what to expect and what you need to know about attending and buying from record fairs in the UK:
- Know the schedule: Record fairs are typically held on weekends, and the schedule can vary from fair to fair. Make sure you know the dates, times, and location of the fair you plan to attend, and plan to arrive early to get the best selection.
- Bring cash: Many record fair vendors do not accept credit cards, so it’s best to bring cash. It’s also a good idea to have small denominations of cash on hand, as some vendors may not have change for larger bills.
- Be prepared to dig: Record fairs can be overwhelming, with thousands of records for sale. Be prepared to dig through boxes and crates to find the records you’re looking for.
- Know your prices: Before you attend the fair, research the prices of the records you’re looking for. This will help you avoid overpaying and will give you an idea of what to expect to pay.
- Be prepared to haggle: Many vendors at record fairs are willing to negotiate on price. If you find a record you want but it’s a bit out of your price range, don’t be afraid to ask if the vendor will take less.
- Bring a bag: Record fairs can be tiring, so bring a bag to carry your records. This will make it easier to carry your purchases around the fair and will also protect your records from damage.
- Bring a list of records: It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of a record fair and end up buying things you don’t need. Bring a list of the records you’re looking for, so you don’t end up with a lot of records you don’t want.
- Be respectful: Remember that record fairs are a place for music lovers to come together and share their passion for vinyl. Be respectful of other attendees and vendors, and be mindful of your behavior.
In conclusion, record fairs are a great way to find rare and hard-to-find vinyl records, as well as connect with other music enthusiasts. By being prepared and knowing what to expect, you can make the most of your experience and find the records you’re looking for at a fair price.